Sunday, February 24, 2013

Do violent video games breed mass murderers?

A quick google search reveals millions of articles linking violent video games to violent behavior. Most recently, it was discovered that Newtown shooter Adam Lanza owned dozens of violent games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Such video games are played from a first person shooter perspective. The victims are often less than human (i.e zombies, aliens, or war criminals). Players are awarded points for killing as many bad guys as possible. There is no guilt and no remorse.

When confronted with the pathetically lacking gun legislation, the NRA suggested that violent video games are to blame for recent shootings but is this really true?

I cannot deny that violent video games include many problematic themes. The most glaring seems to be the violence against women (Grand Theft Auto). Teaching young men, the primary purchasers of these video games, that violence n is something to be rewarded is absolutely deplorable. On the other hand, blaming video games removes accountability from the parents.

As a child and a teenager, I was often exposed to problematic concepts in the media. Fortunately, my parents took it upon themselves to explain these confusing themes to me. I can recall a time when my parents asked me what kind of music I was listening to and explained why songs that glorify promiscuity were not appropriate for my 10 year old ears.

Newtown was an unspeakable tragedy but I don't believe video games were the cause. There needs to be an honest conversation between parents and children about violence and the value of life.

Culture does not exist in a vacuum and yes video games can affect behavior. But even moreso good parenting can CORRECT behavior. After all, I played Guitar Hero for years and I never thought I was a real musician.



No comments:

Post a Comment