Sunday, April 21, 2013

Performance Art

For my performance art piece I chose to continue exploring depression and mental illness. On  January 22, 2012 I voluntarily hospitalized myself for depression. I learned a lot about myself while I was in the hospital and I began taking medication to cope with my depression. Even so, it is a daily struggle. I worry about how people would view me if they knew that I suffer from depression. This project put me far out my comfort zone but in being vulnerable I gained some healing.

The pill bottles on my necklace are mine. I have never thrown one of my bottles away. One day I hope to collect enough bottles to use them in an art piece.



6 comments:

  1. I admire your openess and ability to bravely put your most vulnerable self out there via art therapy- everything from your attitude and composure to your unique pill bottle necklace strengthens the message. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really good job of making this project into something personal. I am always impressed when people can relate these seemingly random or erratic projects to something on a more simple and relatable level. The props and seriousness of your character were phenomenal; I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your costume was very good! The props you used really added a great layer of realism, which made your performance that much more compelling. Your face also was wonderful. The "in the zone" look really made your performance serious and interesting. Never breaking character makes a performance come across so well. good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admired you with this project for going to such a personal and vulnerable place and sharing that with us. Your presence throughout the performance was perfect. The overall feel was very powerful. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt as if your performance was really powerful. I think that it really takes bravery to go out and express yourself like this, especially on campus of all places. In the end, it came out amazing and it really shows just how much emotion you put into the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WAS HERE!! Shout out to the camera girl :) I was really honored to help out because your piece had such a sting message. It was very vulnerable and humbling for you to allow yourself and your truths to be shared. I think it sends a string message to anyone who lives with mental states like depression and for those who don't. You put things into context for many by de-contextualizing yourself around campus.

    ReplyDelete