Monday, May 6, 2013

Video Art Project

I had a hard time coming up with a topic so I looked to the example videos for inspiration. After viewing the video about PTSD, I decided to take on a political issue. Last year in Congress, conservative Republicans spoke out against insurance coverage of birth control. Rush Limbaugh went as far as to call a graduate student, Sandra Fluke, a "slut" and "prostitute" because she took birth control.

Even more recently, several college campuses have come under investigation for their treatment of rape and sexual assault victims. It almost seems that society is going backwards in its treatment of women. 
I chose to juxtapose news clips with a scene of a woman being raped. The news clips are in black and white to symbolize how the reporters are out of touch with the issues. 

The amount of sexual assaults and rapes on college campuses in particular is appalling. Furthermore the rape culture advises that women dress or act a certain way in order to prevent themselves from "getting raped." The message should not be "Don't get raped" instead it should be 'Don't rape"

I used a free video editing software and it imprinted a watermark on my video. I hope it does not distract too much from the video 


No comments:

Post a Comment